Olly Writes

Woodwork, writing, walks, DIY and more!

Tag Archives: joinery grade

Ready to Fold

It’s been a while coming but, my folding laptop desk is now complete. Earlier this week, I spent several evenings applying coats of finishing oil, rubbing down in between coats.

This oil hasn’t darkened the soft pine as much as I feared it might although, there’s always the chance that will happen over time.

Read more of this post

Leg Frame Jointing

After another two-hours in the workshop last night and, after sitting down to type this post after a long day at work, I find myself coming to the realisation that blogging is more enjoyable when it’s more ‘impulsive’ like this and almost bite-sized (compared to my usual posts). I plan to much and stress about getting each post perfect, a lot of time. That’s not really what blogging should be about (I’ve been here before but, with a lack of workshop activity – I think – I lost my way again).

Last night, I looked long and hard at the fold-out leg frames and how I would joint and assemble them…

Read more of this post

Folding Desk, Day Three

Continuing straight on from Saturday’s efforts in the previous post; Sunday began with the finalisation of a few areas in preparation for the final assembly and glue-up of the rear ‘fixed’ portion of the folding desk.

I wanted to cut away a portion of each ‘foot’ so that it would sit more comfortably on a level floor and, as luck would have it, my under-used 6in diameter Sander Sitter provided me with the perfect radius. I cut the waste away with a jigsaw and cleaned it up a bit on my bobbin sander.

Read more of this post

Day Two on the Desk

I’ve probably said this before but, it really never seizes to amaze me just how long even a ‘simple’ pine project can take to make! You visualise all the basic things but, in spite of the training I’ve had in making furniture, I easily forget some of the necessary practices – like sanding to remove machining marks. I do sometimes wish I had a drum sander to simply send boards through as I seem to be going through 120g 4in wide sanding belts at an alarming rate. Pine is sticky stuff with all the resins and that doesn’t help. Really, I should be looking to use 80g for all the donkey work (that would explain why I haven’t so many 80g belts left but, I’m now down to my final 120g belt in the box…).

Plenty has been going over the weekend and, if I were to update it all in this single post, you’d still be reading it by the time I leave for work tomorrow morning (once I’d finished writing it!). So, in this post, I’ll just update you on Saturday’s events, with Sunday’s efforts to follow tomorrow (I’m secretly hoping to have this finished-or-very-close by next weekend…!).

Read more of this post

Making a T&G Gate (Part 2)

Following on from Part 1, I can now take some time to show the various stages I went through [practically – not personally, you wouldn’t like to see those!! :oops:] to construct the gate. After a half-day at work, I spent a good six-hours on this job. It was a couple of hours longer than I was intending and, as I was unable to ‘complete’ the gate in time, that explains why the gate was left in the following state overnight (as you saw at the end of the first instalment):

p

Read more of this post

Making a T&G Gate (Part 1)

My poor, lonely workshop. I haven’t been able to make much use of it recently, even with the three-day Bank Holiday weekend that’s just passed. Still, in an effort to clear some more excess wood from inside, I have been making some progress on a tongue and groove gate I promised I’d make and fit for my mother, erm, over a year ago… 😳

Read more of this post

Too Many DVDs?

When I first started woodworking at home, back in the summer of 2005, the very first piece I made was a simple ‘Craftsman-style‘ wall shelf in pine (Scandinavian, joinery-grade redwood). I took the plans directly from a book [The World’s Best Storage and Shelving Projects] and modified various dimensions in order for the unit to accommodate my stash of DVDs. Despite its garish appearance with the tung oil finish and the crudeness of some of the joints I used (particularly the beech dowels used to peg the shelves), this wall shelf made the move with me to my new home at the end of March this year. All in spite of the fact that, with a total capacity for forty-eight DVDs on each of the two lower shelves, it wasn’t long after the completion date that my DVD collection had over-grown [thanks, Play.com and CD-WOW!!] and I was having to stack cases on top of the unit to try and keep things ‘organised’!

One Shelf... Too Many DVDs!

It’s taken me almost six-years to make this decision but, I’ve decided now that the time is right to build a new wall shelf with increased capacity!

Read more of this post

%d bloggers like this: