Olly Writes

Woodwork, writing, walks, DIY and more!

Tag Archives: fitting

Bathroom Bedlam (Part 4)

This is the concluding part to all the repair work I’ve been carrying out in the bathroom. I still have to repaint a couple of strips on the walls beside the tiles but you won’t need me to show you that (I’ve done enough brush-work on this blog for one year).

It came to an end on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, no less and I took my very first shower in the ‘refurbished’ unit almost 24 hours later. A couple of showers after that and it’s still looking alright.

Read more of this post

Advertisements

Finished Floor

During Day 2 of the bathroom floor refurb, I was actually elsewhere, amidst the wind, rain and snow of the Cotswolds! My dad had a little bit of work left to do in fitting the last panel for the floor, before adding the vinyl tiles and sorting out the plumbing.

Old Joist.

Going back in time around 16 hours; you can see one of the old joists running out from under the floor supporting the bath…

Read more of this post

Fence Panel Repair

Have I ever told you how much I hate the traditional style of fence panel? If not then, I’ll try not to drone on too much today. Let’s just that I’m ‘not a fan’ of the ‘cost-effective‘ design, where you’re over-relying a few nails and staples to hold a load of thin boards and stick-like battens together.

Three-months later…

In my experience, the very first happens during the drier summer months, when this timber (a softwood) is allowed to rapidly expel the moisture it has gathered, causing its form to take all manner of shapes, along with a few splits, cracks and shakes. That’s all without mentioning the threat of wet rot, rising damp and, perhaps one of my biggest bugbears with ‘solid’ fence panelling; the wind effect.

Read more of this post

Mum’s Bathroom

First, I hope that you all had a lovely day yesterday and that you also have plans for the rest of the week.

Somehow, in my last post, I managed to bypass the topic of DIY and home repairs. Mum is looking to sell her house in 2013 but, there is a lot of work that needs to be done before she could confidently place it on the market. It’s certainly a subject that could find a space on this blog so, I’m going to start by focusing on what needs doing in the bathroom. All comments, thoughts and suggestions will be welcomed.

Mum’s Bathroom

Read more of this post

Making a T&G Gate (Part 3)

As we take one giant leap backwards to a point before the second post on this project, we begin to discover just how messed up the timeline is on this one! At least, with the way I’ve posted it…

Of course, before I could fit the gate in to its newly-created opening, even for a single night, I had to trim the boards so that the gate would actually fit…

Read more of this post

Making a T&G Gate (Part 2)

Following on from Part 1, I can now take some time to show the various stages I went through [practically – not personally, you wouldn’t like to see those!! :oops:] to construct the gate. After a half-day at work, I spent a good six-hours on this job. It was a couple of hours longer than I was intending and, as I was unable to ‘complete’ the gate in time, that explains why the gate was left in the following state overnight (as you saw at the end of the first instalment):

p

Read more of this post

Making a T&G Gate (Part 1)

My poor, lonely workshop. I haven’t been able to make much use of it recently, even with the three-day Bank Holiday weekend that’s just passed. Still, in an effort to clear some more excess wood from inside, I have been making some progress on a tongue and groove gate I promised I’d make and fit for my mother, erm, over a year ago… 😳

Read more of this post

Hanging Out

With the 7x2in joists all cut to length, ends re-sealed and ready to fall in to place, my next job was to set out the positioning and spacings for each of the sixteen hangers (eight on either side) and then, to fit them in to place. Below, you can see a mock-up of what I needed to achieve, where the joist must sit 32mm (1¼in) higher than the wall plates, in order to clear the existing truss-frame by a good 5mm, which had already begun to deflect where I’ve previously used it, in appropriately, to store goods (it’s only 4in/100mm deep and is riddled with woodworm, you see).

Read more of this post

%d bloggers like this: