Olly Writes

Woodwork, writing, walks, DIY and more!

Tag Archives: DIY

New Windows

When I moved to this flat in November 2013, I quickly began to compile a growing list of items that may need attention. Many of these have since been rectified, I am pleased to say. Some of which has been attended to by my own two hands. One area I was unprepared to tackle personally was the repair or replacement of the rotting windows.

1off

Single-glazed and long overdue a fresh coat of paint, to say the very least… Well, it was just over a year ago that my landlord (without any prompting from me, whatsoever) signalled an intention to replace all three windows, as they were beyond the best. This week, I’m pleased to be able to write that the have finally been removed.

Read more of this post

Advertisements

Tea Tray Repair

Following on from the video highlighted in my previous post; let’s now take a closer look at the repairs I made to the hardwood serving tray.

Read more of this post

Tea Tray Repair Video

For those who haven’t already seen this through other social media outlets; here we have my most recent YouTube upload, where I set about repairing the mitred corners of a serving tray I made about seven-years ago.

Tomorrow, I’ll add a blog post, outlining a few still and details to complement this repair.

As I write this, I’m currently working on a new video on a walk I did in December. That should appear soon and will then be followed by further DIY and woodworking uploads. If you haven’t done so, I would like to encourage you to subscribe to my channel on YouTube. My following appears to be growing at a steady rate and I’m confident that I’ll reach the 4,000 mark before too long.

Thanks for reading and for watching.

Building the Shed (Part 3)

Somehow, it’s been almost four complete months since I posted Part 2… It was in the following month (September) that I was able to complete the finishing touches to the shed and get the overdue finished photos (albeit, captured on my smart phone).

In this post, we’ll go over those final additions as the project draws to a close.

Read more of this post

Making a Window Mirror (Part 3)

Over the weekend, I made my most recent trip to Ikea (twenty-four hours after ‘Black Friday’, no less) and obtained a final box of Lots mirror tiles (plus one spare pack, in case of any further breakages).

This post will tie up all the loose ends with regards to how the project came to a close.

Read more of this post

Making a Window Mirror (Part 2)

For this window-mirror, I wanted to use rectangular glazing that would complement the functional window that this construction is likely to be situated across the room from. Looking around at various packs of glass tiles and they only appeared to come in square sizes. For a while, I was tempted to buy a pack of mirrored-acrylic tiles from a seller on eBay, knowing they can be cut with woodworking equipment.

Looking around some more and I found Ikea’s Lots mirror tiles and, for the quantity I required, they were set to work out at around half the cost of the acrylic, even before postage. So, after collecting three packs from Ikea in Bristol, I was left with the challenge of having to cut the glass myself – all of which is detailed below.

Read more of this post

Making a Window Mirror (Part 1)

This is an idea I’ve been entertaining for a number of months, although not something I had cooked up entirely within my own skull.

My flat is lacking in light, being on the ground floor and with only window window fitted in each room. Instead of adding lamps and racking up the electricity bill, I came up with the idea to use mirrors. This is an alternative take on simply buying a ‘rectangular frame’. I like the thought of being able to add the impression of an extra window in my living room.

This is how I made it, away from a workshop.

Read more of this post

Building the Shed (Part 2)

By the end of my first day, I was impressed that I’d been able to get the roof on, albeit with a tarp thrown over for overnight ‘security’ (see Part 1).

You’d think that I’d then be ready to finish the roof when I got started the next day… But no. I wasn’t happy with my rushed effort and began by taking the four sheets of chipboard off again!

Read more of this post

%d bloggers like this: