Olly Writes

Woodwork, writing, walks, DIY and more!

Tag Archives: DIY

Billy-Proof Fence

This may come as news to a lot of readers, as I don’t think I’ve mentioned it previously, but my mum and sister decided to welcome a new puppy in to their lives, a few weeks before Christmas.

His name is Billy and he’s a ‘Morkie’ (Maltese/Yorkshire Terrier-cross). Mum was asking about a temporary fence to cordon off the shared driveway. Because they live in rented accommodation as well, this needed to be a freestanding option.

I took some measurements, browsed around online and eventually came up with the following.

Read more of this post

Cutting Condensation on the Fridge

Living in flat with minimal household facilities, I found myself wanting – and, almost of necessity, needing – to use the top surface of my small fridge/freezer as a horizontal surface to hold and store items.

fridge-top

One problem I’ve always been faced with is that, in being a cold surface, it is the ideal place for warm water to settle and form droplets (even small puddles) as it cools. But, I recently came up with a very simple solution to counteract this and it didn’t involve making mounds of mess.

Read more of this post

Patching a Hole in the Ceiling

Over Christmas, I started a DIY job that I didn’t ‘have’ – and, at the time of writing this, it’s not entirely finished off and tidied up.

When I moved in to this flat in 2013, there was a very blatant hole (possibly as much as 5in in diameter) that would’ve once housed a light fitting of some sort.

Read more of this post

New Windows

When I moved to this flat in November 2013, I quickly began to compile a growing list of items that may need attention. Many of these have since been rectified, I am pleased to say. Some of which has been attended to by my own two hands. One area I was unprepared to tackle personally was the repair or replacement of the rotting windows.

1off

Single-glazed and long overdue a fresh coat of paint, to say the very least… Well, it was just over a year ago that my landlord (without any prompting from me, whatsoever) signalled an intention to replace all three windows, as they were beyond the best. This week, I’m pleased to be able to write that the have finally been removed.

Read more of this post

Tea Tray Repair

Following on from the video highlighted in my previous post; let’s now take a closer look at the repairs I made to the hardwood serving tray.

Read more of this post

Tea Tray Repair Video

For those who haven’t already seen this through other social media outlets; here we have my most recent YouTube upload, where I set about repairing the mitred corners of a serving tray I made about seven-years ago.

Tomorrow, I’ll add a blog post, outlining a few still and details to complement this repair.

As I write this, I’m currently working on a new video on a walk I did in December. That should appear soon and will then be followed by further DIY and woodworking uploads. If you haven’t done so, I would like to encourage you to subscribe to my channel on YouTube. My following appears to be growing at a steady rate and I’m confident that I’ll reach the 4,000 mark before too long.

Thanks for reading and for watching.

Building the Shed (Part 3)

Somehow, it’s been almost four complete months since I posted Part 2… It was in the following month (September) that I was able to complete the finishing touches to the shed and get the overdue finished photos (albeit, captured on my smart phone).

In this post, we’ll go over those final additions as the project draws to a close.

Read more of this post

Making a Window Mirror (Part 3)

Over the weekend, I made my most recent trip to Ikea (twenty-four hours after ‘Black Friday’, no less) and obtained a final box of Lots mirror tiles (plus one spare pack, in case of any further breakages).

This post will tie up all the loose ends with regards to how the project came to a close.

Read more of this post

%d bloggers like this: