At work today, I spent a lot of time thinking about how I haven’t done a video for over one month now; how much I want to make the most of what time I have left in my workshop; how I need to crack on and finish the mobile base I started for my table saw, weeks ago… All whilst banging nail after nail in to small sheets of wavy birch plywood!
So, I was home by 17.00 and, after briefly stopping in the bathroom, I grabbed my camera and headed straight out to the workshop! Evenings have been almost mild this week (even though forecasters are now forewarning the threat of snow to follow this weekend – just when we were opening our arms to welcome the spring!). In two hours, I managed to get the following filmed and also, I made some good progress on the mobile base, which I’ll share with you another time.
This is something that I originally intended to film and publish about a month ago during Get Woodworking Week… I also have a ‘Valentine’s Gift’ idea that I’d like to film at some point but, it looks like I’m going to sail straight past Mother’s Day with that one as well! This video’s all about cutting a tee-halving joint, which is a traditional form of lap-joint, between two pieces at 90°.
I hope you enjoy the video. I’m incredibly nervous and fast-talking infront of the camera but I welcome all and any comments people may have. It takes a good hour for me to upload a video of this length and I do now try to keep them brief… That also means compromising a little on the finished quality but then, I’m only using Windows Movie Maker, which is a free program.
If I was to use something paid-for (like Camtasia), would I able to experience faster upload speeds?
Ideally, I’d like to have one short video to upload once each week. In fact, from the video I’m sharing with you this evening, I could easily have cut a section from the end and published that under its own heading.
Thanks both for reading and for watching!
Following on from Part 1, I can now take some time to show the various stages I went through [practically – not personally, you wouldn’t like to see those!! :oops:] to construct the gate. After a half-day at work, I spent a good six-hours on this job. It was a couple of hours longer than I was intending and, as I was unable to ‘complete’ the gate in time, that explains why the gate was left in the following state overnight (as you saw at the end of the first instalment):
Read more of this post
If not for the difficulties I’ve had in trying to upload this video (coupled with the time I’ve spent agonising over a SketchUp drawing for a future magazine article) then, I’ve have had this second instalment online for you much sooner!
Part 2 in my series on making an octagonal towel stand.
It looks as though this is going to become another three-part series after all. I’ve tried hard to trim this second episode down as much as possible but, I feel I’ve got a lot of useful content in there. I start by turning the square post in to an octagonal section (picking up from where Part 1 left off) and getting everything ready for the finishing stage, which will come in Part 3, along with the assembly.
Sorry that you’ve had to wait so long for this. Hope that it’s been worth it, though!
I’d also like to thank Joe Abbott for pointing me in the direction of Windows Live Writer, which is compatible with any blogging software and is free to download. It’s dead easy to use and allows me to blog in ‘visual editor mode’ where WordPress appears to have started playing up for me of late (thanks again, Joe! ).
Thanks for viewing.
On Monday, I finished building the fence for my new-look mitre saw station…
Read all about it!
Having had a Makita LS1013 in my workshop for over a week now, I can see already that I’m going to get more joy out of this than what I had from the Bosch GCM 12 SD. This saw had previously spent nine-months sat in storage so, before I could really put it to the test, it literally needed to strip it down to clean, check and replace any necessary components. Before we go any further, I’d like to start by looking at the condition of the saw as it arrived…
On Thursday, I took delivery of two exciting new arrivals in my workshop! For the last eighteen-months, I’ve been considering an upgrade from my 12in. SIP bandsaw to something much bigger. Also, having recently sold my Bosch 12in. sliding mitre saw on eBay (it took a few months!!), I’ve now got a smaller, 10in. saw that I reckon I’ll be much happier with.