Olly Writes

Woodwork, writing, walks, DIY and more!

Category Archives: Machinery and Tools

Correcting Sash Cramp Heads

I’m a big fan of sash cramp heads for their sheer versatility. Whether you prefer to say clamp or cramp; these heads can be fitted a length of wood pre-drilled with a series of holes. Wooden bars will always be stronger than some of the cheaper aluminium clamps you can buy today and the real beauty is that you can keep several lengths of pre-drilled wooden bar, but you might then only require a small collection of set of clamp heads, which can then be interchanged to suit the projects you are working on.

DSCN4585

In recent years, I’ve been fortunate enough to have bought a few of these for some very reasonable prices on eBay. You’ll occasionally find that some of the older heads require 12mm holes, where most of the modern ones are suited for 10mm but there’s a bigger problem I’ve noticed with some of the newer sash clamp heads from Record or Irwin and I’m going to address that with a solution in this post.

Read more of this post

Advertisements

Picture Frame and Mitres

My next video on YouTube should document the making of a small picture frame made from a minute quantity of English walnut. Today, I’m going to share with you a bit about making the mitres on each of the four corners, as I took an opportunity to try and saw blade I’d not tested before and I’d like to share some of my thoughts on that.

Mitre Cutting Time!

I also decided to make a mitre-cutting jig for my mitre saw and there will be a shorter video showing how I made that, to be uploaded within days of the picture frame project going live.

Read more of this post

[New Video] Truing a Bandsaw Tyre

This is the subject of my latest YouTube video, which has just been uploaded this evening. There are probably a few other recent uploads that I haven’t announced to all of you directly so, it is always worth manually checking my channel from time to time (and, of course; subscribing makes that even easier!). I seem to have created a situation where I have a stack of video content on my hard drive (a good three or four videos-worth). This is a complete contrast to my situation earlier in the year, where I was struggling to even record the basic content for editing… Now, I can’t seem to keep up with myself! πŸ˜‰

Truing a bandsaw tyre has often been a popular topic for this blog and it certainly brings its share of traffic my way from some of the usual search engines. I’m aiming to have at least one more tool-relevant video on the way soon but, over the weekend, I hope you bring you footage of a small project (yes, an actual project) that I completed last week. If you’re really lucky, it may even feature my first attempts at narration!

As always, constructive feedback is welcome but I hope you hope you find this one useful and informative at the very least.

Thank you. πŸ™‚

Abranet

It’s official. I am now a fan of Abranet abrasives!

I only wish I’d invested in their discs sooner… As in, before I started sanding those cutting boards!

Read more of this post

Cyclonic Thoughts

Lately, I’ve been thinking and Keeking about dust extraction in my workshop. I’ve twice had to endure the dreaded bag-change on my large chip extractor during the process of making these chopping boards, which are very near to completion. At the other end of the workshop, I’ve been experiencing a long-term drop in suction, between my vacuum extractor and bandsaw, which suggests air or pressure is being lost within the Triton Dust Bucket.

Extraction setup for fine dust particles.

While investigating this without finding a single leak (by hand), I decided I would build a new stand for the dust bucket. In the photo above, it’s resting on an damp-ridden MDF construction that I’ve never fitted in my Workmate as a height-adjustable outfeed support… This has often been slightly too high, with the hose fouling the locking lever for the bandsaw’s rip fence.

Read more of this post

Sawted!

Not only did I complete Glue-Up No.3 of my walnut and maple chopping boards last night but, I also spent a little bit of time afterwards (correctly) rewiring the new capacitor I purchased for my 1980s Scheppach TKU.

How it should’ve been!

Read more of this post

Gluing Up; Running Backwards

After work today, I spent a couple of hours planing up all the boards and then looking at arranging them and gluing them together in to ‘layers’ that’ll then be sliced up in to shorter blocks and then assembled to created the complete boards.

Read more of this post

Mobile Base for a Table Saw

If you’re a subscriber to my YouTube channel then you may already be aware that I uploaded a brand-new video yesterday morning, featuring the mobile base I made for my site saw (Scheppach TKU) a few weeks ago.

I actually filmed all of this about four weeks ago but I’ve spent a lot of time since simply pondering over whether or not certain scenes are ‘good enough’; is my speech clear enough; would it be better for me to wait until I’ve tinkered with it a bit more before uploading the final edit…

In the end, I decided that it does display all that I need it to and I hope that you agree. Also, it had been several weeks since I last uploaded a new video and so, I really needed to get ‘something’ out there.

If you’d like to see the original video that inspired this design (and hence, why mine isn’t a ‘how-to‘ as such), then please follow the link below:

Retractable Landing Gear for My Table Saw

As always, comments, thoughts, opinions and feedback are always welcome.

Thank you and enjoy! πŸ™‚

%d bloggers like this: