Woodworking Safety Day 2013 (Video)

Today is May the 4th and, just reading that aloud, you can imagine some of the Star Wars-related jokes that often occur around this time each year. Now, the 1st of May for this year was known as Woodworking Safety Day. It’s very similar to the Safety Week we’ve had for the last few years. I can’t remember whether I even wrote a blog post for this in 2012 but this year, I knew that I wanted to make a video that was perhaps a little different to what the average woodworking enthusiast might be planning.

I wouldn’t like to claim that my video or its content is an entirely original concept but I chose to focus on the sliding compound mitre saw. This video also covers a couple of common maintenance questions for the Makita LS1013 that frequently brings traffic to this blog. I am my usually nervous, anxious self for the most part but I end this 23-minute film with two short tales of personal experiences where my health and/or safety has been compromised…

As always, comments and feedback are always welcome. Before I end this post, I’d like to share with you an interesting video I found on improving a mitre saw purchased at the lower-end of the market…

This one appeared as a ‘related video’ alongside my own this morning and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don’t need to make such modifications to my own saw but I do like the mitre cutting-jig idea, as I’m planning to make a small picture frame, very soon (once I’ve finished those chopping boards…).

I’ll have another blog post for you over the weekend as I’ve been busy repairing the 6x6ft fence panel that blew down, erm, three-months ago! There’s more to come on that and, if you’re really lucky, I’ll have the second instalment of my latest cutting boards series as well!

Stay safe in your workshop and enjoy your weekend! 🙂

7 responses to “Woodworking Safety Day 2013 (Video)

1. Art Watson 04/05/2013 at 15:36

Really enjoyed this one Olly. Thank-you for sharing all that great experience with us!

2. Jeff Branch 05/05/2013 at 03:13

Thanks for the videos. I think of all the tools in my shop, the mitre saw is the most intimidating.

3. Andy Williamson 05/05/2013 at 20:38

Hi Olly,
    Your blog and video helped to remind us of the need to be continually safety conscious but as you said we are all human and mistakes are made. Your personal experience with a planer could happen to any of us ( well, to me anyway). It did bring to mind a safety article I found on Twitter recently from Steel City Tools and I’d like to copy it here for your followers information.

“Shop hazards not confined to accidents http://ow.ly/kALbn Beware long term skin exposure to toxins #woodworkingsafetyday”.

Follow the link http://ow.ly/kALbn.

Keep up the good work.
    Andy

• Olly Parry-Jones 05/05/2013 at 22:52

Hi Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to comment and for sharing the link. It’s certainly an issue that needs a greater awareness, in my opinion. I work daily with people who are so ignorant about the dangers of handling paint thinners, for example. It’s not like white spirit or meths. That stuff seeps down through your skin and in to your blood stream, where it then has access to the lining of your kidneys!

Stay safety conscious! 🙂

Olly

4. george mainville 06/05/2013 at 05:10

thank you for the video. I am new to woodworking and i can sure use good advice for safety. I am retired and have decided to do woodworking for a hobby. thank you again.

• Olly Parry-Jones 06/05/2013 at 10:44

Thank you, George, I’m glad you found it useful. Woodworking is an excellent past-time and, I imagine, a highly fulfilling way in which to spend your retirement.