Olly Writes

Woodwork, writing, walks, DIY and more!

Wiring Up

Believe it or not, I’ll have another video for you soon on some ‘modifications’ I’ve been making to my workbench! 😯 While I was waiting for glue to dry at one part though, I got on a wired-in the new DOL Starter I bought for my 6in planer (jointer), as I alluded to at the end of my mobile base video.

It was too large to hide the opening for the original switch and, I felt, too bulky to justify mounting it on the same side. So, I fixed it to the ‘infeed’ end, as you’ll also see in an example over on the Codesmith’s site.

Depending on where and how you want your wires to run in to and out of the box, all you need to do is punch out the small circular discs (no drilling of the plastic casing is required). My largest HSS bits are only 10mm, when it came to drilling through the side of the machine’s casing. But, this has proved to be just enough to feed both sets of wires through, even though I wasn’t able to ‘tidy up’ either of the holes with a cable gland.

If you’re interested to know how I went about wiring this up then, you should take a look at this excellent guide written by 9fingers, over on The Wood Haven’s forum. I wouldn’t wish to take any credit away from Bob by posting any more details here.

When I bought the DOL Starter from Toolstation, I noticed that they also advise you (in their catalogue and online) to purchase a Thermal Overload Relay. I was already happy to be paying only £20 for this new switch and, with an air of arrogance about me, decided that one of those would probably be inside the machine already… I was wrong! So, on Monday, I placed an order for a 5-8A relay. As it was £9.90, I only needed to spend an extra 10p to get the free next-day delivery – why bother driving in to Bristol again?! I did manage to spend almost £5 extra but, to be fair, I was fairly good and only replenished the M8 washers and lock nuts that I’d consumed during the build of my planer’s new mobile base.

Essential reading for any wiring job!

You do need to look on the motor itself to determine which relay is the one you need. I almost made the mistake of buying a 6A relay, after dividing the motor power (1120w) by the voltage (230v) but, apparently, those laws do not apply here.

So, the finished job looks neat and tidy and, perhaps most importantly, it works very well and I haven’t yet been sent flying out through one of the workshop walls with a persistent, ‘tingling’ sensation! 😉 I’ve also found a new place to wrap the mains lead and plug. 🙄

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

I welcome your thoughts.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: