As my short-lived love life falls apart and the warmer weather begins to creep in, I find myself drawn back in to the lure of my long-neglected workshop. It’s been so long since I last blogged… Even longer since I last stepped in to my workshop… It smells damp in there and it’s much smaller than I seem to remember. There are still a couple of on-going projects that I need to finish first but, I’m also feeling slightly inspired to get going again, by the mess that accumulates on the window cill of my bathroom:
It’s far from tidy! Last summer, I did contemplate making a wall cabinet (and, I do have the design saved somewhere). But, I have no intention of staying in this property on a long-term basis and some landlord’s won’t allow their tenants to fix things to the walls… If I do make a cabinet though, it’ll be a fairly simple affair, perhaps made from pine. Either that or, I might try and find one on Freecycle so that I can leave it behind after moving.
This project is calling for a simple box to sit on the window cill.
My initial conception called for a simple, taller design with an open top – much like a traditional window box, which might be used to grow plants, for decoration (although, they usually live outside, not in).
But, I really want something to attempt to ‘hide’ all that you can currently see in that first photo. If I made a box that tall though (over 200mm, to conceal the shaving foam alone!), it would be quite obtrusive, visually. That’s why I’ve stuck with the open-top design. Much like the toolbox tote I built a couple of years ago (which reminds me, I left all my glue in the workshop, all winter!!! :oops:), with a slightly different handle design (it’s always good to try new things and challenge yourself).
As this box will probably spend most of its time ‘open’, it’s convenient then, that a lid with rebated edges can fit snugly in to the underside of the main box. If I embed a rare earth magnets in all the right places, it should also enable the lid to stay in place. I’d also like to store some of my cleaning kit in here (bleach, etc.) so, I can almost see it being carted around the home (like a toolbox), which is why the handle seems important.
Failing that or, if it doesn’t quite work out, I’ll have yet another toolbox – you can never have enough! 🙂
It’s most likely that this will again be made from pine, which I’ll probably salvage or reclaim from something I made a few years ago (when I was starting out) but no longer have a use for. Money’s ridiculously tight at the moment… I work around twenty-hours overtime each month but, I still seem to be spending more money than I’m earning on the essential costs of living! I could go on, with my depressing fears that I’ll have to sell my machinery later this year but, I’ll try and save all that for another time. In short, I never have any spare cash to buy a reasonable bit of pine, let alone some beautifully-figured, home-grown hardwood.
Most of this construction is straight-forward. I haven’t yet decided how I’ll fix the divider in place but, I’d like to experiment with box joints (finger joints, comb joints, etc.) on each corner. For that, I’ll need to build a proper jig and I know that Steve Maskery made an excellent one a couple of years ago that was also adjustable… I just can’t find the video right now.
I hope you’re still reading and, more importantly, that you’re able to make more use of your workshops than I am of mine. Spring is very nearly upon us and summer won’t be far behind!