Another couple of weeks and I’ll be moving out on my own; a good couple of miles away from my current workshop. That means that any time I intend to spend in this current workshop after the move (while I still have access to it) has got to be spent doing something productive; not wasting time fiddling with the settings on a tool or machine, or trying to reorganise my workshop for the umpteenth time. I know I’ll be needing a few things for my new home and, although it will mostly be made from pine due to costs, I’ll need to be ready to get on with it. That’s why I’m currently working hard to get my workshop in order, now, before the move.
With the suspended floor as good as complete, I’ve turned my attention now to sorting through all the household junk and clutter. I’ve already filled the boot of my car twice in taking stuff to the local recycling centre and, thanks to a large amount of interest from an ad I placed in my local Freecycle group, I promptly found a taker for the 6ft long shelving unit that was hogging lots of space near the door:
Most of the rubbish on there went up in to the new roof space… Which has already become quite crowded and will need looking at, once I’ve finished working down beneath! Dismantling and offloading that unit though, it seemed to free up an incredible amount of space, in spite of the fact that it was only a shade under 18in deep.
Before I could start moving machinery around again, I decided I would make an effort to paint these walls with white emulsion, which may made a huge difference, back in 2009, when I painted both rear halves of the two side walls.
As before, I used Crown’s Brilliant White Emulsion from B&Q. Much to my delight, I found the price has dropped slightly to the sum of an even £10 for a 10lt tub (not what you’d expect in a Recession!). There are some negative comments on the B&Q website regarding the viscosity and consistency of this paint – yet, I suspect these people aren’t stirring the paint before applying. I’ve met several painters and decorators who all swear by the stuff. There’s no need to use expensive masonry paint on a job like this, where these faces are not exposed to the elements. I always find it helps to thin the first coat down considerably as the concrete blocks, here, are very porous indeed. My first two coats were a good 50/50 mix of emulsion and water. After a third coat, where there was probably one-third water, I decided that the finish and coverage was good enough. Using a block brush is the best way I’ve found of getting in to all the pores. It’s not an easy task but, it is rewarding at the end. Do consider a set of overalls, as well! 😉
That last coat was applied on Saturday and, when I out to the workshop again this morning [Sunday!], in certain areas, the paint wasn’t totally dry. Still, I persevered and began by installing a garden tool rack from a scrap of 4x2in:
I found a couple of these universal hooks from Toolstation were ideal for hanging the pitch fork and spade/shovel. It’s good that these tools finally have a place to hang – previously, they were ‘stuck‘ behind my sliding mitre saw where nobody could get at them. I even managed to use one of the rakes when fixing the length of timber to the wall:
Slightly further along and I managed to fit in a narrow section of spur shelving, before reaching the electrical sockets at the end of my workbench:
I despair when I see someone using ordinary 90° brackets for shelving… Why?!? These spur shelving sections are so versatile; fully adjustable and, in my opinion, my easier to fit. I haven’t quite decided what will go here but, I’m thinking of MDF offcuts, prepared timber that I’m using on a project and I do need somewhere to store my bandsaw blades and jigs… Not yet sure whether my table saw will remain in this position. I’d like to get my 5ft lathe over here but, between the entrance and the large bandsaw, I fear it could be a bit tight…
That leaves just one final wall to coat, which I intend to complete in the next three-to-four evenings following the induction in to my new job (not a clue as to what hours or days I’ll be working, as yet). Yes, I do need to reattach those wires and there will be plenty more spur shelving on show here, once the task is complete. I still need somewhere to store all the various length of timber that were here previously, alongside my sliding mitre saw.
Thanks for reading.