It’s been almost a month since my last update on this topic so, without further ado, here is a series of finished photographs I took earlier this afternoon. They’ve also been doctored slightly… If you haven’t already noticed, I’ve been doing this regularly with my photos for the last couple of months. The program I’ve been using is Photoscape, which just so happened to be the top result presented by Google when I searched “free photo editing software“! 😉
It may not be Photoshop but, it’s good enough for me.
I’ve never really been that happy with the appearance of the top. It’s not so much the ‘orange’-aspect (I quite like the way this wax darkened the sycamore); it’s the grain pattern. It was a rushed, half-a***d attempt at book-matching and, in my critical opinion, it just looks worse than an ordinary board sawn through-and-through. 😛
Underneath, I did a pretty similar theme, but with a thicker lump of American black walnut. With the less-distinct grain lines an even tone of this wood, I think this “poor-man’s book-match” actually works quite well:
In case you haven’t grasped the concept of how this box “works” from my two previous posts, this next photo should tell you all you need to know; as one end slides up:
For those of you who may be interested, here’s a snippet of my music collection, below. Please note that this box was built to store only the modern card-based CD cases, which don’t seem to fit the plastic racking as well as the old jewel cases do. Saying that; this small selection gives you a very good idea of what’s mostly playing on my iPod:
These next two images may helps to illustrate why the slide-up function didn’t quite work as smoothly as I had hoped…
(NB. That’s not glue, it’s sanding sealer! :oops:)
Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed following this build, even if you’re a bit bemused by the end result. Hopefully, you’ve learned one or two tips along the way!
Thanks for reading.