Back on the curved-front cabinet, I’m now focusing my attention on cracking that elusive curved door, with the raised and fielded panel. While it may appear almost impossible at first glance, I have figured out a way of doing it (with a little help from UKW! ;-)) that should work rather well. Trouble is, all this jig-making is very time-consuming and the cost of such a small subject appears to be escalating…
I decided a few weeks ago that I would be laminating the panel, after doing the raised and fielding work on a flat panel and then slicing it all up again on the bandsaw, basically. To me, it’s the easy option of the two; the other being to cut a series of narrow strips, bevel the edges correspondingly and to then cramp them all together like a coopered door… Getting the angles right, there, would be crucial. You’d also have to maintain that each length was also parallel. Otherwise, you may find your completed panel is anything but square! Then, of course, there’s the matter of the fielding… Even a router cutter could save you, there!
Anyway, on with the former…
I started off by gathering all my softwood offcuts, ripping them down to size and then shaping them individually to a curve that pretty closely matches the radius of the front of the cabinet. These were then glued and cramped together using Titebond Extend and later belt-sanded to even out any irregularities. The only reason this part took a good couple of hours was because I elected to hand-plane and thickness each of the spruce scraps!! 😯 I just couldn’t be bothered to get at my thicknesser, with everything else going on in my workshop, at the minute.
After an hour or so in the clamps and a bit of belt-sanding, I covered the whole thing with a sheet of 4mm MDF, which should help to prevent the odd knot or void from interfering with the oak veneers, later. This time, I used Titebond’s Veneer Glue – just to see whether it works, before I try it on the real thing!! With a coat of wax added later, I shouldn’t have to worry about anything sticking to my former at the glue-up stage. I’m also hoping that I’ll be able to use this to assemble the door frame, rather cunningly… 😉
Earlier today, I ripped a couple of thin veneers for this panel on my Startrite 401e bandsaw. I did record another low-quality video for you, which you’ll get to see at a later date, once I’ve finished the raised panel and have also had a look at editing the video content properly – any recommendations for free-to-download video editing software, anyone?
Of course; having a curved panel means the rails are also going to be curved. I was going to use to same former (above) to laminate the rails but, thanks to a couple of comments from Mailee and RILEY, I saw a huge advantage in making a pair of softwood male and female formers (1mm or so over-size, to allow for any springback)…
This would also allow me to rout the grooves in a rather cunning way, using my new DW621K router – thanks again, guys, if you’re reading this! 😉
While I won’t have much spare time tomorrow to work on fielding the panel, the basic frame is coming together rather well and it shouldn’t be too long now before I’m hanging that door and fretting over what to do for the handles/pulls…!
Thanks for reading.