If you’re a regular reader of my work and any previous WIP (work-in-progress) threads on the UKworkshop forum then, you’ll know I’m not someone who gets things right all the time! I’m not afraid to admit to all mistakes I make and I like to think if helps others to learn and prevent them (you!) from producing the same errors! I could never make a piece of furniture with one or two mistakes and then lie about it at the end; saying that it all went together perfectly – that’s just not me!
While many seem to appreciate and respect my “warts and all” approach, lately, a small minority of individuals have grouped together to target and criticise me for their own entertainment – I’m reluctant to go in to it here. Although it’s easy to forget that some people never make mistakes (!!!), people like that just aren’t worth the time of day!! They know who they are.
As you may recall from a recent post [see Curved Cabinet Cock-Ups], I’ve made a couple of serious errors in the construction of a small, curved-front cabinet, which will be going in to an exhibition (along with several other pieces) in July. Worst of all was that I’d accidentally removed the two rear bottom corners of the cabinet while cutting the dovetail joints! Some will say that I should re-make the cabinet as it is an exhibition piece but, I’m finally starting to run out of brown oak (!!!) and I decided I could still ‘fix’ this…
It took a bit of time hunting through my offcuts to find the right piece but, I believe I have a pretty good grain-match, where the end-grain is concerned:
Not too bad.
Shame about the dowel showing on this one!
What’s more, to the average viewer, I doubt it will look conspicuous even in the slightest (once I’ve stained that exposed dowel to match)! 😉 It parallels the appearance of the top row of dovetails, while the rear pin is widened to accommodate a stopped groove (at least I got that bit right!! 😀 The average “woodworker” and even some cabinet makers may look at this briefly and assume the back panel is glued in to the carcase [until they look at it from behind…]; when, in fact, it can slide out below.
You may think that finding the right scraps of would presents enough of a challenge but, actually, the hardest part was cutting the groove on something only about 1in square! With a bit of patience and the jig I used for sliding dovetails, I was able to do this quite safely on the router table. I also added a 6mm dowel for reinforcement (these bottom corners are likely to get dragged around).
Now, the bottom dovetails reflect what you see on the top edge:
I never would’ve “binned” or thrown this lovely oak away. If I had the time and all the spare timber, I would’ve considered making a second and keeping this first as a mock-up for my own use.
As for the other gaff, well, I’m willing to go with it as a form of intervention that should’ve appeared in the original design – I was never convinced that an oak divider between the brown oak door and drawer would work. Also, I feared another strip of brown oak in there would be too much… Perhaps it will all make sense at a later date, once I’ve made and fitted the door.
Before that, I still need to decide exactly how I’m going to construct the curved raised panel and then assemble the door!
Thanks for reading.